You see them at the workplace, while running errands and at a subway station -they all have upbeat, smiling faces. Hey, we all have bad days but happy people know how to shake things off and take on challenges with a smile on their faces.
Who are these people and how can you join this club you ask? I feel that anyone can be happier, it is a matter of choosing to be positive (I know it can be hard sometimes!). Here are 5 things that happy people choose to do daily and you can too:
- They choose to be grateful
Gratitude is a practice that anyone can adopt. A 2003 study published by the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that the participants who wrote in a gratitude journal on a weekly basis felt better about life, and were more optimistic about the coming week than those who didn’t. They may think some things are bad, but happy people make a timely effort to appreciate things like life and their home as gifts worth respecting and paying attention to.
- They look at every day as a new opportunity Yesterday might not have been the best, which is why today can be even better. Let go of negative thoughts and get ready for a new day.
- They are flexible Instead of being unwilling to take on new things or change regular routines, be willing to give it a try. You’ll feel so accomplished when something actually works out!
- They Give Themselves a Break
Putting in long hours at the office is draining, but there’s a little trick that will help you to be both happier and more productive: Take a break. Even if you bring your own lunch, step out for a brisk walk around the block. Getting your body moving and taking your eyes off your screen will help you come back, after just five minutes, feeling refreshed and ready to tackle whatever project is up next on the agenda.
- Last but not least…. The happiest people do have their share of stresses, crises, and even tragedies. They may become just as distressed and emotional in such circumstances as you or I, but their secret weapon is the poise and strength they show in coping in the face of challenge.
Remember a smile is contagious!
Is there anything that you do in your daily routine that increases your happiness?