If you are like me you LOVE lasagna but hate all the time and prep it takes to make one. Thankfully this dish will give you all the flavors of a lasagna with about 1/3 of the work (can you say lasagna on a weekday?!?).
Lets get cooking!
WHAT WILL I NEED?
- 1 box shell or bowtie pasta (regular or gluten free)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jar tomato sauce or homemade
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated light parmesan cheese
WHAT DO I DO?
Cook pasta according to directions on box. While pasta is cooking, place olive oil in a large non stick skillet and heat on med-high. Add peppers, onion and garlic to the hot skillet and saute until cooked about 5-6 minutes. Once veggies are cooked add tomato sauce, black pepper, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning to the skillet cook for about 5 minutes.
Add cooked drained pasta to skillet and stir to mix well. Drop ricotta in tablespoons over pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and basil.
For more easy weeknight meal ideas check out Claire at “sort of a mom blog”.