Today is a new day…..You have been given this day to do as you will….Let it be something good……..
What inspired you to enter the world of figure competitions at the age of 45?
Well…I started with a personal trainer about 6 months prior to this and she was training for a competition and I thought …”I can do that!” I really wanted to set a new goal and push myself…with the love and support of my family and friends, the right diet and exercise plan anything is possible.
As a busy mom what advice can you give to other moms out there in regards to organization and finding time for healthy meals and snacks?
PLAN, PLAN, PLAN…..Did I say Plan? Take one day a week to pre cook breakfasts and other meals and pre chop fruits and veggies for lunches. Look at the kids schedules and try to organize your trips to the gym around their activities. As I am NOT a morning person, unfortunately going to the gym in the morning is not an option….BUT I can go to the gym later at night when the kids are in bed.
Can you suggest a few simple tips/healthier choices we can all benefit from?
Remember to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day…I keep a jug @ work on my desk and in the fridge @ home….If I see it I will drink it….you know the way it is…if not out of sight out of mind! Make sure you get enough protein during the day…It fuels our body and helps keep us full – about 1-1.5 grams of lean protein a day per pound of body weight. Also, everyone can benefit from a good multivitamin and fish oil. Getting a good nights rest is important (sometimes it is hard!)…but our bodies need that time to repair ….. Some easy healthier food options include:
- Applesauce for oil in baked goods
- Spices, herbs and lemon to add flavour without fat and empty calories
- Salsa instead of fatty sauces
- Whole grain breads and cereals instead of white bread and sugary cereals
Thank you for your time and great tips we can all use!
Here is Susan’s recipe for baked pumpkin spiced oatmeal to get you on the the road to healthy eating…..
Susan Crawfords Baked Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
Servings -4 Prep Time 20 Min -Cook Time 35 min
What’s in it?
- 1 1/2 cups Old Fashioned or Quick cook oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice blend
- 4 tablespoons of Stevia OR 2 tablespoons of 2 of Agave syrup
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I am using Vega smoothie powder)
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup plain canned pumpkin
- 1 whole large egg and 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6.5 oz of almond Milk (or soy, or regular milk..whatever tickles your fancy!)
- Pam Spray or coconut oil-to grease the pan
What else do I need?
- 1 8×8 glass baking dish
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 small mixing bowl
- Spoon for mixing
How do I make it?
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit Lightly grease an 8×8 baking pan with coconut oil or Pam spray and set a side.
In a large mixing bowl combine the stevia, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, protein powder, oats, nuts and raisins. Stir to combine. In a small mixing bowl combine the pumpkin, eggs, milk and vanilla. Beat lightly until well blended. Mix wet ingredients into oat mixture.
Pour pumpkin pie oatmeal into greased 8×8 baking pan. Smooth to evenly distribute. Bake on center rack of oven for 30-35 minutes until middle does not jiggle. Remove from oven and let rest for 25 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 breakfast servings -Great to make at the beginning of the week!
Do you have any of your favourite quick and easy healthy breakfast recipes that you would like to share?
As Always Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to visit!!